Core classes were the seven mandatory subjects taught at Hogwarts. They were mandatory for all students in Years 1-5 and sixth-years could choose to continue subjects based on their O.W.L. grades.
Astronomy was the least talked about subject (along with History of Magic), so while it was generally the least popular, this did not necessarily mean it was the most hated. Unlike other classes, it was held at night.
- Aurora Sinistra (pre-1985-post-1998)
Charms was considered one of the more basic and also important classes.
- Fortinbras (c. 15th-19th century)
- Filius Flitwick (pre-1971-post-2020)
- Male teacher (post-2121)
Defence Against the Dark Arts Edit
Defence Against the Dark Arts was one of the more popular subjects, although it was occasionally hated due to bad teachers. In the 1970s-1990s, the position was cursed so every DADA teacher could only teach for one year. Although Severus Snape only accepted individuals with an Outstanding O.W.L. for Potions N.E.W.T. classes, he did not have the same requirement for Defence Against the Dark Arts as Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger, who got an E, were allowed to continue. In the 1997-1998 school year, due to Voldemort's takeover, the subject was replaced with Dark Arts.
- Arsenius Jigger (pre-1910)
- Albus Dumbledore (pre-1910-1927)
- Galatea Merrythought (1927-1945)
- Patricia Rakepick (1988-1989)
- Quirinus Quirrell (1991-1992)
- Gilderoy Lockhart (1992-1993)
- Remus Lupin (1993-1994)
- Alastor Moody (1994-1995) (actually Bartemius Crouch Junior disguised as Moody with Polyjuice Potion)
- Dolores Umbridge (1995-1996)
- Severus Snape (1996-1997)
- Amycus Carrow (1997-1998) (taught Dark Arts)
- Female teacher (1998-post-2017)
Herbology had neutral popularity among students. Some (such as Neville Longbottom) were very interested in it while other saw it as boring (but still less boring than History of Magic).
- Herbert Beery (pre-1971)
- Pomona Sprout (pre-1971-between 1998 and 2014)
- Neville Longbottom (pre-2014-post-2020)
History of Magic Edit
History of Magic was generally considered the most boring subject, at least when taught by Professor Cuthbert Binns. Because of this, actually learning something in class was hard.
- Cuthbert Binns (pre-1971-post-1998)
Potions was one of the harder subjects. There were some who really loved it and others who hated it, especially when taught by Severus Snape.
- Bartholomew (c. 15th-19th century)
- Swoopstikes (c. 16th-19th century)
- Galatea Merrythought (1895-1927)
- Morna Ross (1927-1931)
- Horace Slughorn (1931-1981; 1996-pre-2016)
- Severus Snape (1981-1996)
- Female teacher (2021-)
This subject was exact and more precise, so it was a more complicated subject compared to Charms. The subject was also challenging and required hard work, as Professor Minerva McGonagall did not allow anyone with an O.W.L. lower than Exceeds Expectations to continue the subject on N.E.W.T. levels as she felt they would not be able to cope with the workload.